Baby Harper

 BabyFruit Ticker

Our First Baby

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Boy or Girl?

Apparently there are like a million ways to figure out if you are having a boy or a girl... I'm not really sure I'm sold of any of these tricks and here's why:


1. I did the Drano test today and it was yellow, which I read means it's a girl... although, I also read that if it bubbles alot (which mine did) it's a boy. So that test did me no good....
2. Another trick is in the baby's hand position. If on an ultra sound the baby's hands are raised it's a girl. If you remember from our 10 week ultrasound there was a picture where it looked like the baby was waving... Girl?
3. There is also the heartbeat theory... faster than 130bpm it's a girl, slower than 130bpm its a boy. We go back to the doctor on Tuesday this week so we'll see where the heart rate is.... i'll get back to you on this one.
4. The heartburn/indigestion issue... This theory says that if you experience bad heartburn or indigestion you are carrying a boy. I've had terrible indigestion...Boy?
5. Nosebleeds... I am not one to usually get nosebleeds but I did have one at school last week. My nose was stuffy so I went to blow it and when I did a full blown nosebleed broke out. Rumor has it that if the mom-to-be has nosebleeds it's a girl.
6. The ever so popular Chinese Lunar calendar. Apparently the sex of your baby is determined by the mother's "lunar age" at conception and month of conception. According to the calendar we're having a boy.
7. Pillows....This is a new one for me....Supposedly if your pillow faces north (whatever that means) you're carrying a boy. We think ours faces east...Girl? If that's the case James might be upstairs rearranging our bedroom! haha
8. Headaches...The article I am reading at the moment says that if you are having headaches it's a boy. I've definitely had increased headaches in the last week or so.... Boy?
9. Morning sickness... According to an article on the IVilliage website if you have morning sickness early in your pregnancy it's a girl. All of my sickness mess didn't really start until about 6 weeks... I don't really consider that early considering for the first 5 weeks or so I thought I was the lucky one who was going to feel great the whole time. Does that mean it's a boy?
10. This one is the funniest... Bread... Well, if you "refuse to eat the heel of the bread" it's a girl. I don't eat the heel of the bread just because I don't want to... not because I'm prego...Girl?

So...needless to say I am convinced that there is NO WAY to predict the sex of your baby until the doctor does an ultrasound and actually has a picture to prove it! I read this in an article and I think it's totally true: "Sometimes our love affair with everyday magic blinds us from the obvious, as in the case of the "predict the baby's sex" lore. Since there are only two possible outcomes, any sign or test result will be bang on the money half of the time. Moreover, because we tend to mentally catalogue astonishing results and toss out mundane ones, we'll remember the three of our friends for whom the test "worked" and forget about the three gals it let down."

We'll just have to wait until the second week of January to figure out our fate :) We're sooooo excited!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!! I can't wait to see if it's going to be a little boy or a little girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny! I was trying to compare all of my symptoms and such to the above since we know we are having a girl. This is what I got:
    1 - Never did the drano thing
    2 - Baby girl was sucking on her thumb/movement throughout the ultrasound
    3 - The heartbeat one is when everyone told me it was a girl. She always has been around 154.
    4 - No heartburn/indugestion here
    5 - Did notice some blood when blowing my nose this week...though it was bc I was sick though
    6 - Chinese calendar thingy confused me. There's about two weeks where it could've been a boy or girl
    7 - Not sure on the pillow...first time I've heard of this. But Greg probably would've moved the bed if a boy could be determined by this method :)
    8 - No headaches
    9 - I had morning sickness around my 2nd month...I guess that is early...not sure..it wasn't fun though!
    10 - I don't prefer the heel either...just never have

    Okay...well, it looks like you have a 50/50 shot :) hahaha I cannot wait to hear what you are having!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned not to trust any of the old wives' tales! According to the heartbeat and the Chinese birth chart...and all of the other little things (like I was CRAVING orange juice all the time) - I should have had a girl.

    I've heard the "tried and true" method of knowing boy/girl is whatever you dream about. Which worked in my case - haha - as my first dream about the baby was that it was a boy.

    Good luck! :)
    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Melodye. (Love the way you spell your name btw) My first dream was a girl...and so was Greg's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if thats the case... My first, and only dream so far it was a boy!

    ReplyDelete