Baby Harper

 BabyFruit Ticker

Our First Baby

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Empanadas a'la Pujols

A couple weeks ago, while at a local grocery I picked up a copy of their magazine, which usually has lots of recipes! I've never actually made any of them until I saw these little Empanadas, recipe courtesy of Deidre Pujols (Albert's wife of course). So in keeping up my theme of being a little home-maker I thought I'd whip them up tonight...Homemade dough and all! They were OUTSTANDING! The best thing about them is that once you make them you can freeze them, and then just pop them in the oven as you want them. James picked up rice and beans from our fav. Mexican place to go with them :) It was a little time consuming but they were worth it! And, it made it a bunch of them so they'll be great for a snack, or even an appetizer! Carson loved them too :) I thought I'd share the recipe in case your wanting a change from your normal dinner combos...

Empanadas

1lb lean ground beef
1tsp garlic salt
2tbsp olive oil
1 cup finely diced green pepper
1 cup finely diced yellow pepper (I had red, so I used that)
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced tomato (I used canned)
5 cloves garlic (I used 4)
1tsp ground chili powder
1tsp ground cumin
1 beef bouillon cube
Empanada dough (recipe follows)
Veg. oil for frying
Hot pepper sauce (we didn't use this, instead we used salsa and sour cream)

Cook ground beef with garlic salt until brown, drain, and set aside. In same skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion, tomatoes, garlic, spices, and bouillon; cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender. Add cooked ground beef, cook another 10 min or so. Cool to room temp.

Roll and cut dough as directed. Place about 1 tbsp of meat filling in each round. Fold in half to enclose filling, press edges together with tines of fork to seal. In deep fryer, or deep skillet, heat oil to 375*. Add empanadas one at a time to oil, don't overcrowd. Cook, turning once, until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels, and serve warm with hot pepper sauce (salsa/sour cream).

Empanada Dough

3 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
2tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening, cubed and chilled
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 large egg

In bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine. Add shortening, cut with knives (I used two and just doing cutting motions with both, at the same time) until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg and broth together. Slowly pour into flour mixture. Mix until soft dough forms (it will be hard to stir and mix, I used my knife and a fork). Shape dough into two discs, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.

On lightly floured surface, roll one disc 1/8 inch thick. Using 4 inch cookie cutter, cut out circles. Fill as directed. Repeat with remaining disc.

Now, if you want to freeze them....Follow same directions, put in air-tight container and freeze. Reheat from Empanadas in a single layer, on a baking sheet, 425* for 10 minutes!

Enjoy!!!! I know we did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment