Baby Harper

 BabyFruit Ticker

Our First Baby

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Yes, we know you're the boss....

Carson is the boss. He gets what he wants, when he wants it. haha It's amazing how quickly your life changes the moment a baby is born. Everything now revolves around him. My thoughts, my plans, when I take a shower, when I eat lunch, even James hasn't been able to sleep as hard as he used to...

We were incredibly lucky to have my parents in town for a whole week to help us adjust to our new life as parents. And of course Carson enjoyed their stay because it meant he pretty much got held for an entire week! haha While it was VERY helpful to have Granny and Pops here that first week I have to give all of the credit to Carson for making our first week as parents SO successful. He's an angel. Since our second feeding he's been latching on just perfectly, with no pain for Mommy... Thank you Carson, you deserve the "angel status" for accomplishing this task alone. He's an eating, peeing, pooping machine! Because my delivery was so smooth and I was recovering quickly (Thanks to the fact that I only had one stitch! Woo Hoo!) we were able to go home Friday afternoon from the hospital. And, because we left early the pediatrician wanted us to come into their office the next morning so they could check Carson for jaundice. The little man passed the test but we were still asked to come back in a couple more days to make sure it didn't develop over the holiday weekend. So, we went back to the doctor Tuesday (June 1st) for another little check-up. We were happy to hear that he officially did NOT have jaundice and that he was almost back to his birth weight already, 7lbs. 11oz! Yay! This was comforting for me to know because it meant that I was giving him all of the nutrition he needed to grow big and strong :)

The doctors gave us strict instructions to wake up Carson every 2-3 hours for feedings until he was back up to his birth weight. Whew...this was quite the task. It's SO hard to wake a sleeping baby!!! By Thursday we figured he'd probably gained the 2 oz. he was lacking so we decided to let the boy sleep. We were pleased to see that he could make it 4 hours between feedings. It already feels like our little guy is sleeping through the night. I feed him right before bed, and wake up once around 2-3am to feed and then he can make it until around 6ish when we are ready to get up for the day. It's nice that he is sleeping in 3-4 hour chunks, but it's even nicer that after that middle of the night feeding he goes right back to sleep. I'm telling you, the boy is an angel.

1 comment:

  1. Yea! I'm so proud of you Ashley! Isn't it great being a mom. You won't believe me now but you will grow to love Carson more and more each day!

    Patti Merrill

    ReplyDelete