Baby Harper

 BabyFruit Ticker

Our First Baby

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, July 2, 2010

Crib sheets: 1 Mommy: 0

Last night Carson woke up ready to eat at about 2am. I crawled out of bed, half awake, got his bottle in some warm water, changed him, then fed him. It was about 2:30ish when he finished up, burps and all. He was in his "punch drunk" stage and I was SO looking forward to crawling back in my warm snugly bed. I came down stairs to put the "dead solider" in the sink and then headed back upstairs. After a quick trip to the bathroom I thought I heard Carson awake....No way, he was in a deep sleep just minutes ago...I walked in his room to take a peek and sure enough he was laying there with his little blue eyes WIDE OPEN. How did he go from punch drunk and sleeping to being wide awake you ask? Well, I'm guessing when he spit up a good ounce of formula everywhere that did the trick. haha There was a large puddle of spit up next to him and he had a little stream of spit up coming out of both sides of his mouth. Poor guy, so helpless laying there. He was looking up at me like, "Help Mommy...What happened?"

At this point I had to call in for reinforcements, James was excited I'm sure. He heard me moaning and groaning via the baby monitor and came running :) He took Carson and got him all cleaned up and left me to deal with the bed/sheets. Mommy got hosed. Anyone who has ever put a fitted sheet on a crib mattress will understand why. It's a pain! For those of you that haven't had the pleasure I'll explain why.... First of all the mattress fits into the crib tightly, for safety reasons of course. This alone makes putting on the sheets a challenge. But, if you've got bumper pads on the crib it's a whole new challenge. Kind of like trying to hit a 150 yd golf shot over the lake with your 140 yd club....nearly impossible. I pulled off the wet sheets and the wet mattress pad and tossed them aside, took a deep breath, and gave it my best. After about 10 minutes and a few tears later I finally got it on good enough for the little man to sleep on.

By then it was nearly 3am and we were both wide awake. At least Carson had clean sheets and ended up going right back to sleep without any problems...What a trooper.

To all of you experienced Mom's out there: If you have a trick to help me beat the sheets please do share.

6 comments:

  1. Sheet Saver!
    If he's not rolling all over the place yet these will work like a charm. Next time he spits up, you just untie and replace - sheets are never harmed at all!

    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3613457&CAWELAID=427070563

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already added it to my Target list...Thanks a ton :) Next time I'll be prepared! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tip I picked up from a potty training mom... double (or triple) sheet the bed so in the middle of the night you're only peeling off wet layers. Yes, it takes some wrestling to get four sheets on there, but it is much easier to do when you're not stressed in the middle of the night. I layered Harper's mattress with a waterproof mattress cover, a regular sheet, the Sheet Saver LB posted (untied, rubber side up) and a pretty sheet on top. Harper's a spitter, so we also keep a large lap/burp pad in the crib where she lays her head. We recently experienced Pukefest 2010 and I was quite thankful for those layers :)

    Here's a link to the lap/burp pads we have, but DO NOT buy this brand – they looked like I washed 1,000 times after the first cycle.

    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2953540

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jackie! I'm on a mission...before bedtime tonight I will have this issue resolved! haha No more middle of the night battles with the bed! I actually bought some of those burp pad things at Target and they did the same thing... looks like they've been washed a million times! Thanks again for the help :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't have any suggestions because I still haven't mastered the crib sheet thing. But I love all the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes some wrestling to get four sheets on there, but it is much easier to do when you're not stressed in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete