Baby Harper

 BabyFruit Ticker

Our First Baby

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mommy & Carson update :)

Today we had our 24 week check-up :) I wasn't looking forward to this appointment because I had to do the one hour glucose screening to test if I need to do further testing for gestational diabetes... Of course the lovely lady at the lab said my count was "slightly elevated" and that I needed to come back for the THREE hour test. Just fantastic! So, I go back next Tuesday for that blood work...I will update you after that test with results :)

I was a little worried going into this appointment about Carson because yesterday I was experiencing some pretty sharp pains on the lower right side, kinda under my belly. After consulting with my pregnancy expert Cheryl yesterday she reassured me it was probably only round ligament pains. What are round ligament pains you ask? Well this is a little of what WebMD had to say on the topic:

"Round ligament pain refers to a type of pelvic pain caused by stretching of the round ligaments. This occurs more commonly on the right side of the pelvis. Your uterus is normally the size of a pear. Thick ligaments, one of which is called the round ligament, hold your uterus in suspension within your abdomen. As the uterus grows in size and weight, these ligaments become very long and thin, stressing and tensing like rubber bands. The ligaments pull and tug on nearby nerve fibers and sensitive structures, causing pain. The severity of pain can worry you. Although round ligament pain is uncomfortable, it is also very normal. A ligament spasm, an involuntary contraction or cramp, usually triggers a sharp pain. These spasms are found more frequently on the right side than the left because of the normal tendency of the uterus to turn to the right.You might awaken at night with pain after having suddenly rolled over in your sleep. The pain may also be brought on by exercise."

After talking with my actual doctor today she confirmed Cheryl's diagnosis! (Cheryl maybe you have a future in Obstetrics? haha) This was a relief :) Although, I will say these pains hurt very bad. It feels somewhat like a side stitch you get when your running x 10. At least it's coming and going instead of just constant pain! We got to hear our little man's heartbeat again today and the doctor said it was perfect :) 150 bpm! He is a snug as a bug in there and doing just fine! I asked her to about my sinus problems and she basically said that there was really nothing else to take or do...Who needs to breathe anyways?

A belly update...It's definitely growing! I feel like just in the last week it's gotten bigger! I think it's starting to really fill into more of a "belly" than a bump. So, no more "beer gut" or "bump"... We must now refer to it as a belly.



Today we also scheduled our next appointment at 28 weeks. At our last ultrasound they said my placenta wasn't quite low enough yet so they wanted to do another ultrasound (yay!!!) to make sure it lowered. So... On March 9th we get to go back to take another peek at Carson! We cant wait :) While at the office we also got our info about signing up for classes at the hospital. We'll be taking a birth/parenting class to learn all about what to expect at the hospital(Fairview Ridges Hospital), and we get a tour of The Birthplace. I'm sure the tour alone will make me feel a little less anxious on that day that I actually do go into labor! We are also going to take a breastfeeding class. Yes, I am going to give the whole breastfeeding thing a try, even though I'm not crazy about the whole process. I've thought about it, and thought about it and I've decided this is no time to be selfish. I need to do this for Carson :) I'm sure James is pumped about this class but he can get over considering he won't actually be doing the breastfeeding! The breastfeeding decision was a hard one for me so I'm sure I will be needing LOTS of support from him and anyone who's willing to give it.

James is whining about my lengthy blog...he needs the computer for homework. I guess homework trumps blog.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your side hurts! I'm glad you got to see Carson though! I'm sure you'll be fine at the 3 hour test! Take your computer while you wait!
    About the whole breast feeding thing... clearly, I know not of breast feeding, but I do know you. Don't do it just because you feel like you'll be selfish if you don't. From what I hear, formula these days has just as much of the good stuff that your boobs do :) Carson will be smart no matter if you breast feed, or formula feed. There's no way he couldn't be with parents like you!!
    Love you guys!! (and little Carson too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer on the test...I'm sure though you'll pass the other one with flying colors! I've had the ligament pain too...I took Tylenol as needed and just kept breathing. The breastfeeding...we can be each others support...even though we are hrs away. We can exchange ideas and hey...it may lead into a whole other blog..lol. Your belly looks great and you look healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete