Baby Harper

 BabyFruit Ticker

Our First Baby

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cheap Eats


This weekend James and I sat down and discussed money and budgets, yet again. He’s had our monthly budget on a spreadsheet for the last two months. Every swipe of the card has to be recorded, YIKES! It’s amazing how fast little $5-10 purchases add up. I was not AT ALL excited about this budget when James first told me about it but I have to admit (Yes James, I’m not afraid to admit you are right! Haha), but it’s definitely been an eye opening experience. I’ve become a lot more cautious about EVERYTHING that I buy, and I’m sure I’ve spent a lot less lately because of it. Yesterday during our discussion James asked me if I ever thought about making our own baby food. Well, honestly no I had not. We aren’t really the hippy, go green, organic eating type…So I just never thought about it. We did lots of research about it and we both decided that I might actually enjoy making Carson’s baby food! It’s easy, cheaper, and it has to be better for him considering all of the preservatives that are added to baby food.
I’m SO glad James had this idea because after doing lots of research about it I really think this is something I will love to do. As most of you know I love being in the kitchen, and since I will be at home anyways there is no reason why I can’t give it a try! James found me a great website (http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm )with lots of tips, recipes, and information that I will for sure be referring back to! Even if you are someone who isn’t staying home this would still be an easy task. All of the foods can be frozen for up to 6 months! It’s AMAZING how much money you can save by making your own baby food. Take a look at this chart to see for yourself (click chart to enlarge)...

So after seeing this we did a little price comparison ourselves. We looked at a Stage 1 package of Gerber bananas (40 oz.) at Target for about $10. If I made 40 oz. of bananas at home it would cost me under ONE DOLLAR. Crazy right? And, Carson would have the benefit of eating fresh fruits and veggies! You’re probably thinking, “Yeah, sounds nice but who wants to mess with that?" Well the recipes are so easy. For example: Here’s the applesauce recipe:

Apple Baby Food Recipes - Puréed Apples/Applesauce (4-6 months old)
Ingredients
Any amount of apples you desire - we recommend using 5-10 large apples (try Macintosh, Gala or Braeburn.)
Directions
1. Peel, core and cut apple into slices/chunks
2. Place slices or chunks into a pan with just enough water to slightly cover apples
3. Boil/steam until tender; be sure to check on the water level and stir, That's It. Easy Peasy.
4. Apples may be mashed with a potato masher to achieve a smooth applesauce consistency. If your masher will not achieve a puree type of consistency, then follow steps 5 - 7
5. Reserve any left over water to use for thinning out the apples
6. Place into your choice of appliance for pureeing and begin pureeing.
7. Add the reserved water as necessary to achieve a smooth, thin puree
8. Add cereal (if desired) to thicken up the
9. Ask your pediatrician about adding some cinnamon for new tastes.

Last night I found a baby food cookbook on Babies R Us' website that I added to our registry along with some food storage trays… I can’t wait to get started!!!

Just an FYI... James just asked me what I was writing about and when I told him he said, "Well did you give me the credit for coming up with the idea?" Yes James, all credit goes to you! haha He must be jealous he didn't think of the curtain in the closet idea...

5 comments:

  1. When we have babies, I'm planning on making their food too!! I'm not hippy either, but I feel like they could eat a lot more healthy if you do it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...I've always thought this is a GREAT idea! It has to be so much better for them. I've always wanted to do this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You don't know me, but I went to high school with James. He had posted your blog on his facebook status, so I read it from time to time (I blog as well, so I enjoy reading other blogs). First of all Congratulations on having a baby boy! I just had a baby boy in Oct. I think making your own baby food is a great idea. I am about to start making baby food in a just a few short weeks. I have a book suggestion - Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. It also has a guide on what foods to introduce to your baby at certain months (kind of like a menu).
    Rachel (McNeil) Rainer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rachel!! Thanks a bunch! Congrats to you as well on your new little man :) We are just sooooo excited for Carson to arrive we can hardly stand it! You are the second person that has told me I need this book...Think I'll order it today :) Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're planning to make food for Baby Hack. I firmly believe that's why my 17-month-old niece likes ALL foods and eats like there's no tomorrow. Plus it makes grandpa really proud to know his grandbabies are eating green beans and other veggies raised in his garden :)

    ReplyDelete