Baby Harper

 BabyFruit Ticker

Our First Baby

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Breastfeeding 101


Last night James and I spent our evening together learning the basics of breastfeeding a baby. The whole breastfeeding thing is something I have gone back and forth with for quite sometime. For some reason that I just can't explain, the whole thing makes me anxious, and to be quite honest it downright scares me. The weird thing is that it's not the possible pain that I'm scared of...I can deal with that. I think it's partially because there is NO way for me to practice it, or know what it will be like. Maybe it's the unknown that makes me so nervous. I can honestly say I'm more anxious about breastfeeding than I am about the delivery. Why? Good question....wish I knew the answer. I think part of it is that when Carson decides he's ready to make his big debut I'm expected to preform the most important task that a woman is ever asked to preform...birth. And then...after I successfully deliver a child into this world I'm expected to take on another task....feeding.

Do you remember the old Cingular commercial where a family is talking about minutes and paying the phone bill and the dad says, "Dad always gets hosed." Well... This is quite the joke in our family. My dad is always saying he gets "hosed" and yes....a lot of times he does. James has taken over my dad's phrase in our house as well. This week I've been counting down the days of work (only 3 more left after today), and James keeps saying he has like 9874353975834 days left, then he'll say, "Dad gets hosed." Well, Dad and James, I'm stealing the hose. Every once in a while, Mom gets "hosed" too. haha

When we first found out we were pregnant I was going to breastfeed, then I wasn't, then I was going to "try" but secretly hoped I couldn't, then I decided that I was going to, and that I was going to give it ALL I had. I went into the breastfeeding class fairly optimistic about the whole thing. But when, 5 minutes into the class, the instructor said that in the first 2-3 weeks the baby shouldn't use a bottle, or a pacifier, and should feed by nursing alone I think I panicked. I want Carson to have breast milk because it's best for him, but I don't really want him to be latched to my chest all day. I had kind of convinced myself I'd do more pumping....even if it meant that my milk supply didn't last as long. So, I will say this. Last night the doubts came back, and I wanted to throw in the towel before the game even started. But, James....being the amazing supportive husband he is reassured me that it would all be ok because he knew I could do it, and that he'd be there to help every step of the way. I woke up this morning with a new attitude. I can do it, and I'm not doing it alone. I am still nervous, scared, and anxious? Yes, of course, and I probably will be until after I have the first few feedings under my belt.

Well... the countdown continues....Only 12 more days until our due date and the excitment is building! Every time I go somewhere I think to myself, "Is it going to happen now? What will I do if I'm here and my water breaks?" I've never really wished pain upon myself before, but there is a first time for everything....Carson we're ready! Bring on the contractions!

4 comments:

  1. Girl...you can do it. If I can, then ANYONE can. Not gonna lie, the first few weeks were downright lowsy. But at one month, I feel like we're (almost) getting the hang of it.

    And...one more thing...I heard the very same thing about pacifiers and bottles. However, we subscribed to the whole "relief" bottle theory. Jeremy has been giving Abram one bottle at night, while I pump. And it lets me rest and have a break. And Abram still nurses fine.

    So anyway - there's my two cents for what it's worth. It truly takes a village to breastfeed a kid. And if you have James behind you, then the TWO of you can do this. :) Holler if you ever need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I hope it doesn't creep you out that I read your blog (remember I went to school with James?)??

    I agree with the comment above! You can do it! I am still breastfeeding our little one (he is 7 months). It is tough at times, its not as easy as throwing formula and water in the diaper bag and going, but you learn to work with it! Pumping is wonderful for when you go out and when you want a break. I felt so overwhelmed at first, but if you can just get through the first month it kind of all just comes together and I have learned to love it! Some advice I got was set small goals for yourself. My first goal was 3 months, then 6 months, and now it is 9 months. Let James take a night feeding on the weekends or maybe once or twice during the week. It will help your sanity!! I had heard about not letting them take a bottle or pacifier too, but Canon did just fine! I could go on and on. If you had someone to talk to on a regular basis to get encouragement and advice from that would probably help A LOT! Take use of lactation consultants at the hospital!! Also see if they have a hotline you can call to get advice after you get home as well!

    This is so long (sorry)! Hope this helped and was a little encouraging! Good Luck!

    Rachel (McNeil) Rainer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rachel, and of course it doesn't creep me out that you read my blog! haha Thank you SO much for the encouraging words :) It's so great to hear little tips that help other Mom's get through the whole thing!! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both gals above. It can be time consuming at first but it is the most rewarding thing I've been able to give Lilli. This milk is especially made for her! :) Also, the pacifier and bottle thing...fortunately Lilli was a sucker the minute we met...she had no problem latching on to me...or anything else for that matter. I did wait at least 2 weeks to give her a passy or bottle, however, I think it is all about preference. 2 weeks...3 weeks...a month...really? My main concern now is going back to work and having her sleep through the night. I'm mtg with her pedi next week and hope to talk to him about stsarting to introduce formula...at least a bottle a week or something. My goal is to bf for 3-4 months. When I go back to work, that will be 2 months. I honestly had no problem with BF and I do give props to the nursery staff and lactation consulants at omhs...While we were there we asked A LOT of questions and since I had a C-section, we were gracious to have the extra day to pick their brains even more.

    PS...do you have an iphone? I phone this wonderful app for mom's...I'm on it several times a day...mom's asking mom's their opinions. I will say, it is conforting to know you aren't the only one with questions. Let me know if you'd like to know about the app!!

    ReplyDelete