Baby Harper

 BabyFruit Ticker

Our First Baby

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, May 21, 2010

Go Baby, Go!

With only 9 days left until our actual due date I think it's safe to say that Carson could be here ANY time! Yay :) Yesterday we had our 38 weeks, and 4 day check-up, and everything went great. We were hoping to hear that I was further dilated and effaced but that wasn't the case. I am standing strong at 1 cm, and 60%. The doctor said my cervix looked great (not quite sure what a "great" cervix looks like, and don't really care to know for that matter...haha) and that Carson was "engaged" and ready to finish his descent! He said he'd move down some but not all of the way yet. Carson's heart-rate was normal along with my blood pressure. I measured exactly 38 weeks which was perfect! The doctor also reassured me that since I have had such a normal pregnancy there is no reason why it shouldn't continue that way! Yay for me :) He told us to keep our bags packed because my water could break, and I could go into labor at any time, and that's what he for sees happening.

But... Wednesday night the local nurses unions decided to go on strike at the begining of June. Luckily the hospital I am delievering at is not a union hospital so there will not be a strike there. Whew! But, the doctor did tell us yesterday that the strike does have the potential to effect us beause of a possible increase in patients coming over from other union hospitals.... So, what does all of this mean for my pregnancy? Well, we aren't 100% sure yet. We go back to the doctor on Tuesday and while we're there we are going to disuss induction. According to my doctors I shouldn't really need to be induced unless for some reason I go over my due date a week or so (which would be June 6th). But, he said if we wait until June 6th and try to schedule an induction at the hospital there is a chance they wont have room for me (women being induced have last priority for rooms in the maternity ward). This would obviously not be good... So, the doctor said he thinks it might be a good idea to induce before the end of the month to bypass the whole possibility of the strike effecting my labor. We are going to wait and see what, if any, progress I have made on Tuesday and what they suggest we do. IF, they recommend going ahead and inducing we will probably try to schedule it for next Thursday, May 27th (Which would be 39 weeks and 4 days). My main concern with inducing is that I don't want it to increase my chances of needing a c-section. For some reason it seems like a lot of the time when you hear that someone was induced you also hear they ended up with a c-section. I am going to ask my doctor if induction raises the risk of c-section, hopefully he will say no because I have to admit I like the idea of know the exact day our little guy could arrive, plus... it's right before the long holiday weekend, couldn't be any better timing!

However, Carson could of couse come before Tuesday, or next Thursday for that matter! Naturally that's what we are hoping for. James has a golf game planned for Sunday morning so he'd apprectiate it if Carson could hold off until then. On top of that the house needs a good cleaning so I would have to agree, Carson lets shoot for Sunday night, or Monday! If only it were that easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment